The Chapter of the League of Utah Writers is excited to announce a new contest! This year we will be hosting a Christmas themed contest. Bring out your best and most creative Christmas stories and poetry for this one, we are looking for ideas we haven’t read over and over.
As a perk, we will be printing an anthology using the top entries in each category and we will do our best to have those available for gifting at Christmas.
The entry window opens on Sept 1st, 2015 and closes October 15th at midnight.
Here are the categories that will be included in the Christmas anthology:
- Poetry: Limit one page per entry
- Young Adult Short Story: 3000 word limit, fiction or non-fiction.
- Adult Short Story: 3000 word limit, fiction or non fiction.
- Flash Fiction: 1000 words or less
- Cover Art – see submission guidelines for technical specifications.
1st Chapter contest
Because we love you, and because you are all working on such awesome projects, we will also be doing a 1st chapter contest. There are two categories, young adult and adult. 3000 word limit.
- $5.00 per Poetry entry and Cover Art entry
- $10.00 per Short Story, Flash Fiction, and 1st chapter
- 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places will receive a prize equal to or greater than the entry fee, this amount will be determined by the number of entries received per category.
- All places and honorable mentions will receive a certificate.
Rules and Regulations:
- Electronic submission only.
- No works that have won a prior contest may enter
- Limit two entries per category
- No explicit sex or extreme violence will be permitted. Offensive work will be disqualified.
- Fees are not refundable.
- Submissions must be sent to email@example.com
- Payment must be sent by Paypal to the same firstname.lastname@example.org. If you do not use Paypal, contact Jodi.email@example.com for alternate payment options. Payment must be received by Oct 15th my midnight for the entry to be considered.
- All entries must be submitted as an attachment in .doc, .docx, or .pdf – if we can’t open your submission we can’t judge it.
- All pages of the attachment must be double spaced, 12 pt font, Times New Roman or Courier New.
- In the body of the email please include the following information: your name, address, phone, email, entry title, and category. This will serve as your entry form.
- In the attachment, your title page must contain your title, word count, and contest category. DO NOT PUT YOUR NAME ON THIS PAGE.
- Poetry entries – include your title, centered, above your entry. DO NOT PUT YOUR NAME ON THIS PAGE.
- Format subject line of the email as follows: TITLE, Name, Category (ex: EARTH GIRL , Desmond Peabody, first chapter YA
- Format file name as follows: TITLE category.jpg (ex: EARTH GIRL first chapter ya.docx)
- In the header of your entry please include the title and category (except for poetry, we can figure it out 🙂
- In the footer please include page numbers.
Submission Guidelines for Cover Art:
- Electronic submissions only.
- High Resolution images only (remember, this will be printed!)
- All people appearing in image must give written consent.
- No trademarked images, keep it legal people.
- Nothing objectionable. No, really.
- Send entry and contest entry fee (via Paypal) to firstname.lastname@example.org . If you don’t paypal contact Jodi.email@example.com.
- In the body of the email please include the following information: your name, address, phone, email, entry title (if it has one), and category. This will serve as your entry form.
- Format subject line of the email as follows: TITLE, Name, Category (ex: FANTASY FLIGHT, Desmond Peabody, cover art)
- Format file name as follows: TITLE category.jpg (ex: FANTASY FLIGHT cover art.jpg)