OQUIRRH WRITERS WRITING Contest
The Oquirrh Writers Chapter of the League of Utah Writers
announces its Spring Writing Contest
Deadline is Midnight, March 27, 2016
Anyone in the chapter may enter
-Poetry: Any subject or style. Limit one page per entry.
-Short Stories: Fiction or Non-fiction any topic. There are two categories from which to choose:
- Young Adult or Juvenile–3,000 word limit.
- Adult–3,000 word limit
-Flash Fiction: 1,000 words or less. Any topic or genre.
-Articles (This can refer to magazine, newspaper, essays or blog entries): Any subject or style, fiction or non-fiction.
- Word count-2,000 or under
-First Chapter-Fiction or Nonfiction, any genre, any topic. There are two categories from which to choose:
- Young Adult or Juvenile-3,000 word limit
- Adult- 3,000 word limit
-Short Story, First Chapter, Flash Fiction and Articles is $10.00 for each entry
-Poetry fee is $5.00 for each entry
Notice: This will be an electronic entry ONLY. Do not send hard copy submissions. Word processor documents (doc, docx, pdf) are preferred.
- No works that have won a prior contest can enter
- Limit five entries per category
- Absolutely no explicit sex or extreme violence is allowed. If your work offends the judge, it will be disqualified.
- First place in each category will receive $20.00
- Second place in each category will receive $15.00
- Fees are not refundable
- First, Second, Third, and Honorable Mention recipients will receive a certificate
- Contest closes Midnight March 27, 2016. Checks must be postmarked by that date and time.
- Send submission and entry form (See Entry Form Below) as an attachment to LUW.Oquirrh@gmail.com; Subject: Oquirrh Writing Contest
- Send one check made out to the Oquirrh Writers Chapter for all work submitted and one form for EACH entry you submit. You can also pay through PayPal and send money to LUW.Oquirrh@gmail.com.
- Winners will be announced at the May 2016 Oquirrh Writers Chapter Meeting
- An entry form is required as the first page of each entry. Please copy and paste it into your submission (See Entry Form Below)
- For Poetry entries, please put Poetry/Title in the RIGHT HEADER of submission.
(Example: Poetry/Where the Sidewalk Ends)
- For all other entries, please put Category/Age Group/Title in RIGHT HEADER of submission
(Example: First Chapter/Juvenile/Harry Potter)
- Insert a page number as a FOOTER in the submission.
- Your name should not appear anywhere on your submissions other than on the entry form (See Entry Form in Box Below).
- Put your Last name/Title/Category in the subject line of the email.
This is a great opportunity to get feedback on your work and it’s a great platform step as well. We have some great judges and editors who are looking for gold stars. Take advantage of this contest. You never know what could happen.